Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why do I do it?

Why do I do these workouts all the time? This is a question I often thinking about. I find answering it extremely difficult. I have yet to find out really why I do them. I have had many conversations about it with people. There are two great answers that I believe help formulate why I do it. The two answers are, “Because we can.” The other being, “because I would not not want to.”

The first one, “because we can,” comes from a girl names suz. I am unaware of her last name. She is a member at Crossfit 908. I was in the middle of a workout one day and said out loud, “Why do we do this to ourselves?” She quickly responded, “because we can.” This lead me to think. It is true, it is partially simply because we can. The fact is that many people physically cannot. It is not just because they are lazy, it is cause they have some physical impairment. I owe it to all those people to give it my all in every workout.

The second quote was from a friend of mine, Brandon K. We were talking about why we come in when we are tired and sore and do a workout. Then he simply said, “because I would not not want to come in.” I know it is not the most correct English, but it is a correct statement. There are definitely days when we do not want to workout. The workout that day however makes our day that much better. I have skipped workout on days and feel like a piece of my day is missing. It is as simple as I do it cause I would not not want to do it.

There is a third reason has come from personal reflection. I do it because of the positive it has had in my life. Before I started working out I was in bad shape inside and out. I was a 230 pound 6-1 softy. I was not capable of a pull up, could not squat 200 pounds or snatch anything. Physically it has changed my life. Mentally it has changed me too.

Mentally before I started I was shy. I would not want to challenge myself because I was scared of failure. Because of these workouts I know you have to take yourself if you do not take yourself to the point of failure, how do you know how well you can do? This has been taught to me through many brutal beat downs in workouts. It was paid for in sweat many times over. This lesson is the most important. I had the ability to extend it to my life as a whole.

I recently applied to law schools. I decided I was going to go for the best I could get into. I was not going to be scared of not getting in. How am I suppose to know the best school I could get in to if I do not fail? I got into 3 out of the 8 schools I applied to. Those numbers are not to great. Especially if you look at that 2 of them were safety schools. However, I do not have to wonder if I could have gotten into a school I wanted to. Did it suck getting a rejection letter from University of Texas when that is were I really wanted to go? You bet ya. It would suck more if I never applied and just wondered for the rest of my life.

Those are some of the reasons why I do it.

Workout: 50 kettlebell presses, 5 each arm rotation I did this twice. The first time was 4:28. The second I was able to do 3:26, I got motivated. I think I more was able to mentally push, I was not happy with the first time. Extras were 5 sets of 5 deadhang pull ups.

Inspiratonal Quote: “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.” –Vince Lombardi

1 comment:

  1. I feel famous after reading this. Megan, Dorothy, and I got Level 1 last weekend. It was a breeze, a big part of that due to the coaching you always gave us. Thanks. Keep it up, I read these a few at a time. Good insight and reflection.

    ReplyDelete