Wednesday, June 9, 2010

who pushes who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M

I saw this video a few hours ago. It caused me to think. It is right on target on its point. I would like to expand one point from nutrition focused to full lifestyle focus. The point I would like to broaden is the point when he says just cause you are fitter then a fat person….

I have said before, the only person to compare yourself to is yourself in that moment. You know when you have given it your all. There are times when you have done a great job, but there was that little bit more you could have given. In these times it is wrong to settle for good enough. There should never be any settling that at least I did better then blah. This means that every workout you have to give it all you have for that moment do not compare yourself to others.

Continuing on this, it is wrong to even compare yourself to yourself. Last week I might have been able to do a 30 push ups in a row in 30 seconds. However this week it might be only 25. This does not mean I gave less effort. There could easily be circumstances which led to the drop in five push ups. I could have a cold, did 150 push ups the day before, etc. That means that you have to give it your all.

This by no means says that competing with others is wrong. I am just trying to bring to light that it should not be your final measuring stick. Competition can cause you to push it to places you never thought you could. This is a good thing. Where constant competition can hurt you, is when you only care about beating someone. The only person you should always want to beat is yourself.

There is only one person who knows when you have given it your all, you. This should not be kept to your workouts either. You should be given it your all at work. By being complacent in the fact that you are a better worker then blah, does not make you better. You should be comparing yourself to yourself. Did I give that letter, project, planting job all I had? If the answer is yes, then you are on the right track.

There is a problem when you start settling for just being better then someone else. There are people just naturally are not as good as you. To say you are just stronger then a 5 year old sounds ridiculous. However it is essentially what you are saying when you say you can relax cause you are in better shape then a big old fatty.

Workout: It was a rainy day so had to workout inside. I did 4 rds of 25 sit ups, 15 supermans, 15 push ups. My time was 8:05. It was a good quick workout in the middle of the week.

Inspirational quote: “ I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious.” –Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment