Monday, June 14, 2010

Pushing and Pulling


When you are growing up you are told to not allow people to push you around. This is an interesting statement. In all honesty I do not believe in it. I believe it does have some truth, but I feel you need to let yourself to be pushed around to fully grow.

The truth in the statement is when someone is trying to take advantage of you. I do believe you should never let people push you to do things you know are wrong or unlawful. You have to learn how to stand up for yourself. You have to learn how to push back in this situation. However, I feel there is a lot to learn by letting yourself to be pushed in a positive direction.

It would be simple to say that you accomplish all things in your life by yourself. It would also be a lie. There is no one in this world that accomplished anything on his or her own. There has to be people there pushing you to succeed. If you were to not allow yourself to get pushed around, who knows how little you would accomplish. Successful people always know how to let people push them.

This thought led me to think about when I have been pushed in my life. In the past two years I have been pushed into things that have changed the direction of my life. The first was going to crossfit. It was something I just toyed with doing. Then a friend of mine pushed me into it. All of the sudden I did not have a choice of what to do. I was hooked after my first day and have been for two years now. The list goes on and on though. There are major points when people pushed me to do something I did not want to. I am happy I let myself get pushed. It has led me to become a much better person. If I would have stood my ground here is a short list of things I would not know, crossfit, paleo, law school… The list can go on trust me.

The person I am today would be completely different if I did not let myself get pushed a little bit. You need that push as long as it is well guided. You have to watch out for who is pushing you and why. This goes for the gym and life outside. You need the trainer there to push you. In the gym it is easy to get that motivation by a yelling lunatic. It is hard to get it outside the gym. This is because it is then your job to push yourself. It is important that you are always pushing your mind and body in new directions.

Workout: 3rds of 10 kettlebell snatches right, 10 left, 10 handstand push ups. My time was 8:57. My handstands need some work, but I am happy with them since there were against the shed.

Inspirational quote: “Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A world of optimism and hope. A ‘you can do it’ when things are tough.” –Richard M. DeVos

1 comment:

  1. "I'm a pusher Cady!"
    "Yeah, probably a drug pusher..."
    Mean Girls!!!

    law school pusher!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete