Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Changing the perception

I came across this story and found it interesting. There are many versions and this is just one. One day a traveller, walking along a lane, came across 3 stonecutters working in a quarry. Each was busy cutting a block of stone. Interested to find out what they were working on, he asked the first stonecutter what he was doing. "I am cutting a stone!" Still no wiser the traveller turned to the second stonecutter and asked him what he was doing. “I am cutting this block of stone to make sure that it’s square, and its dimensions are uniform, so that it will fit exactly in its place in a wall." A bit closer to finding out what the stonecutters were working on but still unclear, the traveller turned to the third stonecutter. He seemed to be the happiest of the three and when asked what he was doing replied: “I am building a cathedral.”

It has caused me to do some thinking about my daily work. I work for a landscaping company. No, we do not cut lawns, it is a lot of digging holes and planting plants. It is not the most rewarding job, but it is a job. I am stuck doing work for people I do not know. However I have realized I find it rewarding.

I am able to work outside. I get a good amount of physical work. Mentally it still leaves a lot to be desired. However, at the end of the day I get to see a physical difference I have made. It is not just that, but when you get a client who is extremely excited about the work, it is very rewarding.

One time last week I had the chance to mulch a lady’s yard. It was an area that was overgrown with weeds. Her husband has cancer. The two of them normally keep it up, but given the circumstances it has slipped. By going and doing that work for that lady, we were able to make her day. I am not just saying that, she told us. It is when I get to work on those jobs that it reinvigorates my desire.

I guess it really just comes down to perception. Most of the time I use to perceive I am doing this work for wealthy unappreciative assholes. I think though if I change my perception as it a job I am doing just for pay to a job I am going to do my best out it will help me.

It will help me enjoy work more. I will be able to be more productive from the extra pride I will take in my work. I also am a firm believer in doing the best that you can in every thing that you do. I do not believe there is an on/off switch. I believe people who always take pride in their work and work hard, finish ahead. The people that do the bare minimum at work always will do the bare minimum in the rest of their life. This is why I challenge all people to do the best they can in everything that they do. This will force your whole attitude to change.

Workout: Today I wanted to get a quick 5 to 7 minute workout in. I had a desire to work my upper body. The lower body gets plenty of work at work. I did 5 rounds of 20 double unders, 4 broad jumps, 10 sandbag presses (60lb.), 4 broad jumps. The time that I finished in was 5:39. I tried the best I could to make all broad jumps as far as possible. I strive to do the best in everything.

P.S. Good luck Sara! I know you will pass easily.

Inspiritaional Quote: “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” -Buddha

1 comment: