Monday, June 21, 2010

Facing the Enemy

Besides working and working out, the other major activity in my life right now is reading. I will read anything that sparks my interest. Right now, being a nervous/excited soon to be law student I am reading a book about law school. While I am sure no book can completely prepare you for anything, it cannot hurt.

The book that I am reading is called One L by Scott Turow. This book is a collection of his journal entries from his first year of law school complied after his first year He attended law school in the mid 70’s but the lessons still hold true today. This is due to little change in how the first year of law school is taught.

I am only partially done with the book but there is one idea that has gotten a hold of me. The author talks about it when he is contemplating law school. He is talking to a friend of his and his friend says he would go to law school to, “face the enemy.” I identify with this concept.

At law school I believe I will come face to face with my enemy. My enemy of course is myself. I have never been the best student. I have been able to get by with my natural smarts. I believe I am now ready to take my studies seriously. And in fact I am willing to back myself big on that bet. This change has come to me through an unlikely source, crossfit.

I feel every time I completely a workout I have accomplished something. In this accomplishment I have learned a lot. I have been through the suck of the filthy fifty, when you are dead tired and you still have 50 more wallballs, burpees and double unders. I have also been at the accomplishment end of it. I know that there are going to be times when the work piles on me and I cannot see the end or a break.

The question in my own head is how will I handle it? I have a feeling I will handle it the same way I have handled many workouts, one step at a time. I know in the middle of the filthy fifty I have to just keep moving forward, school will be the same thing if not easier. As OPT has said, after knowing what the filthy fifty’s are like. It makes all of life seem easier. I just hope he is right.

Workout: Started the three weeks of programming. I am not allowed to alter the workouts at all I have decided. Today was 4 rds of 20 sandbag lunges and 10 handstand push ups. It took me 8:54. I believe some of my handstand push ups were suspect. However, I am willing to take the output on that one movement for now.

Inspirational quote: “hello old friend, Fuck you!” –James “OPT” Fitzgerald

1 comment:

  1. Did you say, "natural smarts?" I think you give yourself too much credit. Ashley asked when Remmy will finally be mine, I'd say in a few weeks. We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete