Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Boxing yourself in...

When I was applying to colleges, I was asked to describe myself with one word. While I am good at talking about many things, myself is not one of them. Knowing this I got the help of my mom to generate words. The one word I still remember her describing me as is, “eclectic.” The dictionary defines it as, “deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.” I still believe this describes my life very well.

I am a big believe in being well rounded. I am always trying to learn in a vast many subjects, from how to fix up the house to new ways to cook ground beef. The fact that I am currently reading three books lets you know I enjoy being well rounded. If this is the case, should it not also be the case in my workouts?

The problem I have had over the past few weeks is I was very boxed in. Yes, I was using many different movements but I was keeping the workouts too short. I was almost coming up with workouts just to get a workout done. While this will keep me in shape, I want to push towards elite shape. This being my goal, I decided to break out of the box.

While I did not run out and buy new equipment, I am always looking though; I decided to have a variety of workouts. I was able to come up with a few new movements as well as different ways of timing to extend my workouts. I am hoping this along with other changes will help me push towards elite shape.

I believe that how you are as a person, should be in everything that you do. I enjoy many different things. I like having a decent variety in how I cook as a result. Sometimes I love spicy, sometimes sweet, and sometimes I enjoy it when someone else cooks. The lesson I have learned from this is that you cannot let yourself get boxed into one way of doing things. Everything you do in life should mimic your personality; you should not be changing your personality to the task.

Workout: 4rds of 60 seconds on 30 seconds off of push ups, sit ups, and squats. My goal was to get in the high 300’s while at the same time doing a minimum of 100 push ups. I achieve both. My overall score was 430. I did more then 25 push ups each round so I had to be over 100. I was happy with this.

Inspirational Quote: “Get comfortable with uncomfortable.” –James “OPT” Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment