Monday, July 12, 2010

pacing....

Time Management

I learned very quickly while running cross country in high school that pace is everything. My first race I was so nervous of running out super fast and dying, as a result I did the opposite. I believe that my first mile was in the 10 minutes range. However, the fear of going out fast and dying was real. There were tons of people who wanted to be a hero. They wanted to lead the race even if it was in the first 400. The ones who win the race though, find their pace and ignore the surroundings.

This is a lesson that I noticed again at the Carolina sectional. The guys who went at a nice even pace won. The ones who went super fast at the start died and finished poorly. It is misguided to believe you can go out quickly and maintain, your adrenaline runs out eventually.

I have been able to put these lessons to go use in my workouts. My goal is to never go out super fast and die. My goal is to maintain a good pace and pick it up as I go on. I have found great success in the past few months with this strategy. It has led me to many good workouts and I hope to employ it at law school.

The application should be rather straight forward. Do not work yourself at a blistering pace you know you will not be able to keep up. In shorter terms, do not work so hard that you burn out in the first month. Yes, you have to work hard, but the goal is to work your hardest over the whole year. There is no point in peaking in the first week. I hope not to hit my high in the first week and only have down to head.

Workout: 1 press, 3 push press, 5 push jerk, 7 push ups, 9 double unders, 10 rounds. This was all done with the 60 lb sandbag. I was able to finish in 9:39. My goal was under ten, so I am happy.

Inspirational quote: “You only have to be leading when you cross the final line.” -Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. Well the only thing that I read daily is your post, and there is not a new one today. Thank you for not making me read!!! :)

    ReplyDelete