Tuesday, July 20, 2010

crossfit games

I had the pleasure of watching a great sporting event this weekend, the crossfit games. To me this was one of the best sporting events I had the pleasure to watch. This is a little bias since I am a crossfitter. However, to someone who is new to the life, it did an amazing job of illustrating what makes the life so great.

Crossfit is a unique sporting event. This is because the spectators are a lot more then spectators. The spectators all are active in the sport. At a football game you might have some former players, but very few, and almost none active. At the crossfit games, ever specator is an active crossfitter.

This means that all the spectators understand the athletes’ pain. They understand how hard it is when the athlete is looking down at the barbell questionings how many more he/she can do. They understand cause they have been there, probably within the past week.

Beyond the spectators being so informed, the athletes are supportive. This is someone who just put everything they had into a workout, now yelling at you to finish it also. This is very unique to crossfit. It is rare in any other sport to see competitors helping out each other. Giving each other that emotional support necessary to finish it out. That is because as crossfitters, we all know what it is like and know how much a, “here we go!” helps out.

This last aspect is why I love crossfit. I can sit there and try my hardest every day to beat someone. However, this will not stop me from helping them when they need. It also will not stop them from helping me.

I am not saying that every crossfitter is like that. But it was nice to see even at the top of the sport for the year, the competitors are like that. It gives great role models to look up to for both their physical and moral attributes.

Inspirational quote: “our spectators can beat up your spectators!” crossfit commentator

No comments:

Post a Comment