Thursday, July 8, 2010

One L, my review

In prepping for law school I have started doing many things. I have been working on organization. I have been trying to grasp as many legal things as possible. I have also been reading as much as possible. In my preperation for law school I was recommended by a friend to read, One L, by Scott Turow.

This is a book about his journey in his first year at law school. He attended Harvard in the mid 70's, but lessons he learned are still relavent today. If you are even thinking about law school, I recommend you read it. However if you have no interest in law school I would suggest you avoid it.

One L is great for the purpose of educating soon to be one l's. One l is what a first year law student is called. Turow with his journals give real insight to how an one l will be feeling. How to deal with professors, students, and yourself. This book is very focused on this group. It would not have appeal for the most part outside of the soon to be law student group.

One L fails to attract other groups due to its narrow focus on a specific unique experience, the first year of law school. Due to this fact, if you are not an aspring law student it will be boring. Also, Turow seems to get on his high horse often, talking about how great Harvard is. This no matter who you are gets old after the first 50 pages. After that point it is just annoying snobbery.

Overall, One L for me was a good read. I was interested in the subject matter. I feel it has given me more insight to what I should be expecting to experience in the coming year. Hopefully it will help me do better in my first year.

1 comment:

  1. Remi is destroying purple buddy as I read your post. I had to pull out some stuffing that got caught in his mouth right in the middle of my reading. All in all, he needs a new buddy and to see you. Oh I don't like reading! hehe

    ReplyDelete