Thursday, May 13, 2010

Virtual vs. Actual

So about a year ago I did a workout with "Virtual Shoveling." The concept is good, but it does not compare to the actual thing. Virtual Shoveling is when you have a bar with one 45lb. on one side, you lift it up and over a 20" box and back. The primary problem with these type of movements is they miss the whole toughness of shoveling. The hard part of shoveling is not the motion but the time domain. You do not shovel for 5 minutes or 10 or even rarely 15. When actually shoveling you are shoveling for hours, wheel barrow full after wheel barrow. The time domain change is huge. It is about mentally just doing it cause it has to get done. There is only one way to do it. This is an interesting new dimension for me. The past few years workouts have been measure in anywhere from 2 to 60 minutes, now my work day is measure in hours, and 9 of them.

That being said, the concept or idea behind virtual shoveling is not lost on me. It is a good functional movement which involves many different aspects of fitness. However, I feel that in workouts lets stick with workout movements. Yes we do get these movements from real life, a deadlift is how we pick up heavy items and so forth. We do not though have to find every actually movement and find a way to mimic it in our workouts. I have gotten better at shoveling, not by virtual shoveling but by getting strong and know how to use my body more effectively.

The diet is good today. My goal today was to eat no dark chocolate. I often forget even though it is good for you, it still needs to be moderated. Just because a little is good for you, does not mean a whole lot is better. I was successful in that. My goal tomorrow is to avoid cheeses. My family only has main stream cheese. None of it is from grass feed cow milk, it does though follow my rule of ingredients, which if I am taking the grains out of my diet, they have to go all the way. My goal for the next few weeks it to focus more on this.

There was no workout today, will start workouts on monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment