Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thinking outside of the watch


I will rave today about the greatness of weight vest. They allow to make any movement that much more challenging. Yesterday I struggled with double unders because having the extra weight on makes jumping that much more difficult. This is a movement I am normally pretty good at. The idea of double unders with a weight vest came to me while researching how to best use the weight vest.

The idea that I came across was to not limit the use to obvious applications. The obvious applications would be running, pull ups, etc. pretty much any basic workout movement. This is why I did double unders with it. It is not something you would typically think to do. Today I took it a step further.

After work, I had to paint some on my parents front porch. This is the time slot I normally use for my workout. However, not wanting to just push back my schedule, I decided to wear my weight vest while I paint. This at first sound ridiculous. However I can assure you it made painting that much harder. The nicest thing about it is that although it does not replace an intense workout. It was able to proved a different type of difficulty to overcome.

This lead me to think that sometimes, I have to leave the stopwatch off and just do something difficult. This means wearing the weight vest to do chores or simply walking somewhere I might drive. All of this will help with my fitness. How could I limit my fitness sessions to just short intervals with the stopwatch. The whole point of intense workout is that they are short, this leaves a whole lot of time to do extras.

This also leads me to the point that, just because you workout you cannot expect results. There is the 23 to 1 rule. The max really you can spend working out is one hour a day, you have 23 to fuck it up. This means just cause you had a grueling day and you are tired you still do not cut corners. I would still walk from further in the parking lot. You workout to make you more fit, not to give excuses. These excuses could be from eating extra deserts to driving to a place you know you should walk.

Workout: 40 minutes of painting with the weight vest on

Inspirational Quote: "opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

1 comment:

  1. I wonder who the genius was who gave you the idea of wearing the weight vest while painting ;) I bet your parents were laughing at you the entire time too. Oh and watch your language!! lol

    ReplyDelete