Friday, September 3, 2010

crossfit and law school

My post have become a weekly due to the whole school thing getting in my way. It is amazing how quickly your mind changes though. Two weeks ago I had no idea what I was reading, no idea how to look at it. I would just go through the motions of reading it with not being able to connect it in anyway to anything.

Now I am able to read something and have a decent idea of what it is saying. I have found myself slowly adding other ideas from other classes into it. My understanding of the whole picture is developing. I am surprised with how quickly I have been able to draw conclusions. I figured the first quarter I would have no idea. While who knows maybe in another two weeks I will say I had no idea what I was talking about then.

This all reminds me about when I start crossfit. In honest it probably will be very similar to my journey through crossfit. When you first start you are just doing what the trainer tells you. If he says you are not popping your hips, you pop your hips. If he says to drive your heels into the ground, while you drive your heels into the ground. However, you quickly learn the individual movements. Over a little time you are able to put it all together.

This transformation does not happen over night, but over a period of time. All of the sudden you are understanding that the drive out of the hips necessary to finish off a clean are the same drive necessary for a good kettlebell swing. That core stabilization is necessary for every movement. These evolution in your thinking about the movements takes time and practice. Some can easily come in and tell you, but you will still not understand until you put your hands on the tools of the trade.

Law school to me is no different. Everything builds on something else. Just as kettlebell swings help you understand to feelings of finishing a pull on a clean, pennoyer v. neff helps you understand International shoe. These things all build on each other.

This is true about all things in life. You live life in a straight line so to speak. You are not way over to the left one moment and right the next. Everything you do in life builds up on the future. That is why it is important to have the best base you can. Your future is a direct reflection on your ability to better yourself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment